PRIVATE PARANORMAL INVESTIGATORS
GHOST INVESTIGATION TEAM
If you feel uncomfortable in your home or in yourself, or when you get home from an investigation, you feel something may have come back with you.
Remember also that over time Negative energies can build up naturally in the home.
This is just a basic guide on how to smudge a room or a person.
You can perform a cleansing ritual using a smudge stick made of White Sage, Cedar, Frankincense or Paulo Santo. You will also need an Abalone shell (or something heatproof) to catch any ash or hot embers or somewhere safe to keep your burning smudge stick when you are not holding it, a candle and a lighter/matches.
Remember to tell, not ask the spirit/energy to Leave your home/body. Be assertive with your chant/prayer you are not giving it a choice, you are giving a command. Remember this is your home/body, not there's! so you have to be firm, do not be rude! so be careful not to provoke.
How To Smudge Your House:
1. Place the candle, the Abalone shell (fireproof container) and the smudge stick on a table, desk or any other appropriate surface. It is best if you create a sense of ceremony when you smudge your house, as well as finding a time when you will not be disturbed; 10-15 min should be enough.
2. Light the candle and say a prayer or just focus your energy. Light the tip of your smudge stick with the candlelight, then gently wave the stick in the air till the tip begins to smoulder.
3. Hold the smudge stick over the fireproof container at all times in order to avoid any lit herbs falling on the floor. You can use a feather if you have one, but usually just gently waving your hands to disperse the smoke is enough. Remind yourself to stay connected to your breathing throughout your smudging session.
4. Go clockwise around your house (usually starting at the front door), and gently wave the smoke into the air. Spend a bit more time smudging the room corners, as they tend to accumulate stagnant energy. Be sure to also open the closet doors and carefully smudge inside. Do not forget about spaces such as the laundry room, the garage or the basement. As you walk around your home say words like these,
" Leave my home, this is my home, not yours, You do not have permission to be here".
5. When you have smudged all areas of your house, come back to where you started and gently extinguish your smudge stick (dipping it into the sand while applying a bit of pressure usually works well). Wait a bit, then pack your smudge stick, as well as the container, till your next smudging session. You can leave the candle burning, if you so desire, to continue to purify the energy.
How To Smudge Yourself (or Somebody Else):
Once your smudge stick is lit and smouldering, direct the smoke waves to the overall energy field around your body, starting with the area above your head and continuing down to your feet. Do not forget to breathe deeply while you do that.
You will also have to recite words like the ones below so the spirit or energy is told to leave your body.
" Leave my body, this is my body, not yours, You do not have permission to be here".
I have also seen smudging done more meticulously, as well as in the reverse order - starting with the soles of the feet, going up both sides of the legs, torso, arms and finishing by smudging the space above the head. See what works best for you.
The same steps apply when you are asked to smudge somebody else, be it a friend or a child. It is usually a good idea to smudge yourself before, as well as after you smudge the house.
Most Commonly Asked Questions About Smudging:
Q: Do I really need to smudge my house?
A: Yes, it is always a good idea to smudge your house, as stagnant energy accumulates even in the homes with the best feng shui.
If smudging does not appeal to you at all, explore alternative ways to clear the energy.
Q: How often do I have to smudge?
A: At least several times a year. Some people smudge every week, while others might smudge less. Remember you can choose alternative ways to clear the energy, such as basic space clearing, using incense, etc. However, do give smudging a try, you might love it!
This is a huge subject to cover with many remedies to use or rituals to conduct, so please do research further online.
If you require extra help with cleansing, or you feel you need something else, do use the contact us page to make an inquiry.
We have purchased items that are imported directly from Native Americans, and certificated original, not to be boastful, but for authenticity and to create a stronger ritual when we use smudging as a banishment tool for cleansing a property.
We also use various other items such as Tar water, black salt and other natural items that aid us in our rituals.
There are many to use, you have to find the right ones that will work for and with you.
Abalone shell and White Sage Smudge Stick.